Friday, April 20, 2012

Intake clamps.

This carb to turbo adapter has been kicking my ass lately trying to figure out how to make it work.  Lastnight i finally figured out how to do it.

 The problem is space, i want to keep all this turbo stuff contained. nothing bothers me more than having hose clamps and crap flying all over the place. every turbo setup i have seen looks like a jumbled mess, so i am really trying to simplify everything.  The carb is bounded by the rocker box, breather bolt, and fairing side panel.  Th carb needs to sit to the right about .5in in order to not inter fear with the rocker box, it also needs to gain about .5in in dia. interesting how that works out?

After rummaging around the shop i found this piece of scrap aluminum that looks about perfect for the job at hand. 

 Dropped it into the lathe and got rid of some of the extra material that was not needed.

 The .75in center hole was already drilled in the part this actually ended up being really handy as a point to index off of. The carb needed a hole 1.80in so i machined a hole 1.805in to allow for a nice slip fit. (its really snug). After machining the main carb hole I added the first port which created the passage way from side A to side B this was 1.65in ID.

 Once I test fitted the part on the carb it was time to work on the outer portion of the clamp.  220 degree sweep pretty well took care of it. after the arc was cut i placed the mill on the start and end points and drove it straight out on the x axis to create parallel flats.

 Here i am using a key way cutter to detach the clamp from the rest of the manifold.

 Using a .065 end mill i cut a slot to give the clamp some room to compress. This will be a bit experimental but i did not run the mill all the way through into the intake port. i stopped about .032 away, hopefully this will allow the clamp to tighten up enough really clamp down tightly.

 Here is the turbo side of the manifold. i opened it up with a .75in ball end mill to aid in intake flow.

 Clamped it in the lathe to turn down some extra material and smooth out any rough patches.

 I did a little porting on it by hand with a barrel sander to make for a smooth transition from carb to turbo.

 This is the manifold welded to a v-band flange that mates to the turbo.

here is it all mounted to the bike. I still need to machine the pinch bolt hole and counter bore on the clamp, but it was 1:30am when i made this so i will save that for another day.